6 Tips to Nail that Application

10:30


Applying for jobs can be a bit daunting a times. I should know I've applied for enough in the past. 
My family always comes to me when they need help with their's, thats when I realised I should share what I know. Having picked things up along the way I've got some great tips. 

1. Read
Read the job specification and anything else related to the job. Don't just skim it. When I first started applying that's all I did. I thought it was for me to have a quick read to see if I liked the tasks I'd be doing. What an idiot right? This is a rookie error.
These documents are for you to use on your application. 

2. Personal Statement
Now I don't know that all jobs have this, but for me I have had to write lots. They are time consuming but for a good reason. They demonstrate your want, drive, and ability to actually do the job. You need to write something that covers every single point in the job specification. That's right, every single point. 

3. Examples
The importance of this is extremely high. They want you to show that you have done the what's on the job specification. Give them what they want. Especially as a applications tend to be marked on a point basis with the highest getting an interview.

4.Calling
Now on some jobs it may give a number for you to have an informal chat. You may think it's a good idea to call just to say your interested and going to apply for the job. Don't. Don't waste their time to tell them something they will find out. They want people to call if they have a question or what more in depth understanding. No stupid questions. This is a bit of an insider tip, whilst working at a job I heard people call up with no point. When the manager got off the phone, they didn't seem impressed. Yes it's good to get your name out there as interested but not if it's going to reflect badly.

5. Check
Double check your application. Be it you, a loved one, or someone you can trust.
This is important as you sometimes need that extra set of eyes to catch anything you've missed.

6. Don't Lie
Yes everyone tells a little white lie. If you lie you'll get caught out. This is not something I have done, but I have heard of other people doing it. If you get the job and can't do what's required it's not going to look good.
Think of it like this, you're a penny but you got to clean it to give it a shine. You're not changing it to be something different. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments